Thursday, September 30, 2010

fLaShBacKs

History. Everyone has one. No two persons' history would be the same. I grew up in a 'Kampong' at the Old Singapore Turf Club. In fact, I was even born right there at home. I completed Pri Sch at SCPS and was surrounded by many expats' kids. Frens consisted of those from Indonesia (we even had Indonesia VS S'pore Zero Point friendly game), Australia, South Africa, Thailand and even Russia. Yes! I rem that tall slanky blonde girl by the name of Olga. And I'm not exaggerating a single bit. hEE! What's the value of money to kids back then?? We spent our recess playing zero point, police and thief, Pepsi Cola. Celebrated bdays with huge yummy expensive cakes, went swimming at a friend's bungalow's pool and visited those private houses in along Chancery Lane.


I believe that my chdhd was not that common becos we were staying at Dad's Quarters apartment. It's just like a two-room flat. And the cons wld be it's quite deep in and no public buses cld reach so we had to walk at least 15mins to reach home. Nvm that we wld take that long to reach but the path wld be very freaky at night as there'd not much traffic and HUGE leafy trees lined the way. So whenever possible, we wld ask Dad to wait for us at the main gate with his bicycle. Another disadvantage wld be the non-availability of Home lines. Everytime I was asked for Home Contact No. for school, I wld sheepishly provide my Dad's Office at the Union no. instead. Or sometimes I wld simply said we had none. And of course I did rem clearly the one and only public phone (those bulky one in orange using only 10cent coins) outside the canteen. One cld find a short queue almost everynight.


I was browsing thru an old chdhd fren's albums and found these pics! My eyes widened and I cld searched for my unit. Surprisingly, I found it easily and flashbacks came on instantly. I spent most of my growing up (the years I cld rem fondly) in this Blk 4.



In fact, if you looked closely, the 4th unit from the left on the highest storey was my house! You bet there was no lifts around and that's probably why I was skinny when younger. hEE! And what's worst, sometimes there wld be blackouts and it was NO fun running up the stairs in complete darkness just to reach home at night.



This is the front view which I thot had changed tremendously. I do not rem the main road to be that close to our blk. And there was no green fence back then. On the other end of the blk was the swimming pool for the horses. We wld sometimes hung out there watching those horses swim in the afternoon sun. BliSS! Where else wld u be given the opportunity to grow up in this environment??




And there was no basketball court at the back. In fact, there used to be a Badminton court and the guys wld use it for Sepak Takraw instead in the evenings. Oh and I did rem that Bryan Adam, Rod Stewart and Sting performed at the tracks and we cld hear their songs clearly.

I'm blessed to be able to grow up in such a place and thanked God for the wonderful pple I met throughout my life so far. Altho we're not very much in touch now but I felt glad for FB to be able to trace them back. :)

So what's your History? ♥

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home